Help: stty -echo

Hi,

One of our zsh user logs in via X.25 and he wants local echoing.
So he tried to switch off echoing by

$ stty -echo

However, the command has no effect in zsh. (It works in ksh, csh, bash.)
The zsh versions we tried are 2.5.03 and 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.3 on Solaris 2.4.

Is this an (old) bug? How could it be fixed?

Thanks any suggestion in advance!

Best regards,
Jozsef Kadlecsik
                                           Address: P.O.B 49 Budapest
                                                    1525 Hungary
Hungarian Academy of Sciences              Phone  : +36 (1) 169 9499
Central Research Institute for Physics     Fax    : +36 (1) 169 6567
                                           E-mail : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                    kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx