MAIL variable help!

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my mail variables within zsh 2.5.03 so that whenever
mail arrives within one of my MH folders (it's been pre-filtered by mailagent),
I'll be notified for each folder with new mail.

As I have it setup now, it prints out a one-line notification for each mail
that's arrived, so that if I should get say 3 mails in ~/Mail/zsh, I get

New mail in zsh.
New mail in zsh.
New mail in zsh.

rather than just one notification.

Also, the manpage says that if an element in MAILPATH is a directory, that
directory is recursively scanned for every file.  I don't want this behavior;
it makes no sense with MH-style folders.  Also, it takes forever for zsh
to scan all my folders for new mail.

I can always write a separate program and invoke it "periodic"ally, but is
this really necessary?  Surely other zsh users use MH as well...

Also, while I'm at it, I have a similar problem with MAIL_WARNING, in that
if I "scan" an MH folder, I'll get a series of terminal messages like:

The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/1 has been read.
The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/8 has been read.
... many more lines here
The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/4 has been read.
The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/5 has been read.
The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/6 has been read.
The mail in /u/pete/Mail/tqadm/7 has been read.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance,

Pete Williams <petew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  "Hey, I had to let awk be better at *something*...  :-)"
    -- Larry Wall in <1991Nov7.200504.25280@xxxxxxxxxxx>1