How do I disable checking for new mail?

I like to be notified about the arrival of new mail asynchronously, e.g.
even if I am not sitting at the terminal and typing new-lines at the
prompt. biff or xbiff does this fine, but how do I disable zsh from
telling me I have new mail (I know it already!).

I have tried setting MAILPATH to "", /dev/null and MAILCHECK to 0 and
10000000. MAILCHECK=10000000 obviously works, but seems ugly. Is it
really the only way? I can't unset MAIL for obvious reasons.

Jari Kokko