Re: need help establishing safety of zsh to sysadmin

>> On Mon, 6 May 1996 13:38:11 -0700 (PDT),
>> unpingco@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Jose Unpingco) said:

J> I've been using zsh for over a year now, but it seems that it has
J> recently come to the attention of the sysadmin who wants me to stop using
J> it on the grounds that "it is not a supported shell" on the machines I
J> work on.

   Sounds like you have a lazy sysadmin.

J> I'm hesistant to give up zsh and all its great functions, which I've come
J> to depend upon, so I was hoping some of you could give me some specific
J> examples of how zsh has not caused problems for you sysadmins out here.

   I've been a sysadmin at the C17 project office since 1987, and I've never
   had a problem with zsh on either a Pyramid or a Sparc that was due to
   anything except my own keyboard carelessness.  As a matter of fact, zsh
   has kept me from deleting important stuff on more than one occasion.

   I tried bash and tcsh for about a year apiece and finally settled on zsh
   as having the best set of functions for interactive use.  This was a few
   years ago and I have no plans on changing to a different shell.

--
Karl Vogel                                        vogelke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Control Data Systems, Inc.           ASC/YCOA, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433

Politics is not a bad profession.  If you succeed there are many
rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.  --Ronald Reagan