Use of qualifiers without glob pattern?

hi, all!

the question to zsh 2.6-beta21.

Man page states, that it is possible to use history modifiers for *any*
file; to be precise: "The name of any existing file can be followed by a
modifier of the form (:..) even if no filename generation is performed".

I have tried it in the followin statement:

for i in **/*.org
do
  diff -u $i $i(:r)
done

the problem is, $i(:r) gives the same as $i!!! That is a.c.org(:r) ->
a.c.org. If I make e.g. *.c.org(:r) I correctly get .org suffix stripped.

Is it correct? I have a feeling, that it worked in some earlier version of
zsh.

thanks in advance

PS please, Cc to me as I am not member of this list.

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@xxxxxx