Zsh startup files

Hi there.  I'm something of a beginning user, so I am not entirely sure
if this is the correct forum for this question.  But I have two.

* my .zshenv contains things that will be used in all of my scripts and
shells, and the rest of the startup files seem only to be used for shells.
Is there any real difference in the function of .zprofile, .zshrc, etc?

* How would I program a prompting mechanism, i.e. put up a prompt and wait
for input that would be put into an env var in a script?  The "read"
documentation is unclear and I can't figure it out.

Thanks a bunch for helping a (relative) newbie!

                                            --N.