Re: Mailpath notification message

Quite a while ago, there was a person asking how to string long lines into
his MAILPATH.  This is (approximately) what was written as an answer,
perhaps by Mr. Stephenson (if I remember truly).

setopt magic_equal_subst                # for `export foo=~/bar`
function export() { EXPORT=${1%%\=*} ; typeset -Ux $* }
function +() { eval builtin export ${EXPORT}=\$\{$EXPORT\}:\$1 }
# some stuff snipped
export MAILPATH=        "~/mail/in/inbox?Mail in folder 1"
                +       "~/.samizdat/in/inbox?Mail in filder 2"
# more snipped
unfunction export +

This used to work for me.  Now however, I get the message that the second
one (~/.samizdat..etc) is not an identifier.  I am puzzled, as I loved
this little tool to work on my many mail spools.  How might this be made
to work?

This is zsh 3.0.0
                                            --N.