ZSH, xterms, and keyboard autorepeat under Linux

I just switched from bash to zsh-3.0.2 under XFree86-3.2/Linux
2.0.29, and am very impressed. :-)

I have one question, though.  Under bash, when I hold down a key and
let it autorepeat, each character is echoed to the screen before the
next one is accepted.  That is, when I press 'a', then let it up, I
will have roughly the number of 'a's on the screen that there were
when I released the key.

zsh, on the other hand, performs a terminal optimization wherein a
group of characters are buffered and not echoed to the screen until
some large number have been received or until the key is released.

I find this somewhat disconcerting, particularly when the key is not
'a' but backspace.  Is there any way to disable this particular
optimization?  There doesn't appear to be any difference in the stty
settings under zsh and bash.

Thanks.  I apologize if this question has been asked before.  (BTW,
might it be possible to make the mailing list archive searchable?)

--
Paul C. Janzen                    Great acts are made up of small
pcj@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  deeds.   -- Lao Tsu