dir fails on Linux

I know, zsh doesn't have a dir command.  But, I do have the following set:

	dir () { ls -la $* | more }

in my .zalias (which is called from .zshrc).

The version of zsh is zsh-3.1.1 (beta) and Linux is 2.0.0 (the Linux from
the Walnut Creek CD-ROM (August 96 edition).

When I do a dir from a standard tty command line, I get the following:

	zsh: fork failed: try again

Why?  I have 48MB of ram in the 5x86 PeeCee and 16MB of added swap.  It has
to do with the function because I can manually do the "ls -la <file> | more"
and it works as expected.

But, here is the kicker.  When I use XFree86/OpenWindows (i.e. Xview), the
dir function works without fail.

This exact same version of Zsh on my Sun Solaris 2.5.1 works as expected.
Is there a bug in Linux that keeps the command line version of functions
from working correctly, but once X Windows is started it works just fine?

Any help will be appreciated.

MB
--
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. <URL:http://www.ftms.com/>