Re: sh/bash incompatibility - noticeable with Netscape

> > This line runs fine with bash, but zsh parses the leading (( as an
> > arithmetic expression opening, and fails.  There is no way I can figure
> > out to convince Netscape to put a space between the two leading
> > open-parens.
>
> This only works with bash 1.x.  bash 2.0 will properly choke in the same way
> as zsh.

...and yet bash-2.01 will have a fix.  I fixed the bash parsing code
so that it requires an arithmetic command to begin with `((', end
with `))', and have an equal number of open and close parens.  If it
does not end with `))', it is treated as a nested subshell.  A non-
balancing number of open and close parens is treated as a syntax error.

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@xxxxxxxxxxx