strange behaviour with .zsh and su

I recently switched to defining a ZSHDOTDIR in /etc/zprofile to
unclutter my home directory. It works fine when I am logged as a normal
user but now when I 'su' to root from that account root's .zshrc isn't
sourced anymore even though I put root's .zshrc into its own ZDOTDIR...

When I 'su -l' the .zsh/.zshrc is sourced but I'd rather it worked with
plain 'su' so that I don't change directories.

Am I doing something wrong?

config:

Linux, zsh_3.0.3

export ZSHDOTDIR=.zsh