Re: FAQ, German Umlauts

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> In this case the rest of the entry should point you in the right
> direction.  If the locales are not set up correctly for the fonts
> available on the system, that's a bug in the system installation.

Hmm, on NEXTSTEP, there isn't even a file called /usr/lib/locale,
and nothing else needs it.

Being no UNIX expert, I'd find it annoying to have to install such
a file simply to be able to run zsh correctly.

I mean, why the hell can't zsh do without? It *does* get right the
small German Umlauts, so I don't think there's any reason it
shouldn't be able to cope with the capital ones without the help of
some special file.

Anyway, as it is - how would this file /usr/lib/locale have to look
like for NEXTSTEP to allow capital German Umlauts? From this
discussion, so far I haven't the slightest idea.

And will it also work with zsh version 2.51 which is the installed
"default" version in NEXTSTEP which many users haven't changed yet?

                Bye
                        Uli

Uli Zappe               E-Mail: uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                (NeXTMail,Mime,ASCII) PGP on request
Lorscher Strasse 5      WWW:    -
D-60489 Frankfurt       Fon:    +49 (69) 9784 0007
Germany                 Fax:    +49 (69) 9784 0042

staff member of NEXTTOYOU - the German NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP magazine