Re: 3.1.2: What's going on here?

> I've just compiled zsh 3.1.2 for Solaris 2.5.1 on sparc and i386.  It
> seems to run fine, but I constantly get the error "zsh: not an
> identifier".  Example:
>
>  5 % echo $USERNAME
> zsh: not an identifier: $USERNAME
>  5 % echo $ZSH_VERSION
> zsh: not an identifier: $ZSH_VERSION
>  5 % cd /tmp
> zsh: not an identifier: /tmp
>  5 % ls /etc
> zsh: not an identifier: /etc
>  5 % echo hello
> hello
>  6 % cd tmp
>
> What's going on here?  The last two statements do work.

You probably have something wrong in the precmd or prompt.  Try to remove
stuff from your startup files until the problem disappears.  An example
which can cause such things:

hzoli /l/src/zsh-RCS/Src % local '$USERNAME'
zsh: not an identifier: $USERNAME
hzoli /l/src/zsh-RCS/Src % local '/tmp'
zsh: not an identifier: /tmp
hzoli /l/src/zsh-RCS/Src % local 'hello'
hzoli /l/src/zsh-RCS/Src %

Zoli