Re: Can I put a newline in an alias?

On Sun 07/20/97 at 10:07 AM -0700, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There isn't any special syntax for that.  You just have to put the control
> characters in as themselves.

I'm not sure I understand.  I know  it would be very useful to be
able to put into aliases things like:

1) a return at the end of the alias (so that I can type, say, a one-letter
alias and have the command, or series of commands, executed without having
to hit <return> after I type the alias.

2) a control sequence, like, say, <control-L>  I don't know what you would
put in an alias to make a control sequence. What would be an example? What
would one look like?

3) what would be the representation of any control character -- <return> ,
<tab>, <control-whatever>, <esc> -- how is any of these put into an alias?

Maybe if one wants to use such things that means it's time to start using
small scripts.

i guess I'm looking for a sort of QuicKeys for zsh . . .

--
                              // rusty@xxxxxxxxx //

		A beautiful female body is the best kind of bed lamp.
		  Sleeping side by side makes the night less opaque.
                           -- Malcolm de Chazal   Sens-Plastique