(mime attachment!) debug function: first time weird behavior

I have attached a function which I have been working on.

It archives information gathered from 'whois' (so I don't have to wait for internic to respond if I have already run 'whois' on the archive.
The first time it is run it says:

/usr/local/lib/whois/ is a directory
 whois: Have info archived: /usr/local/lib/whois/

If I run it again, it works fine.

I am totally clueless as to why this is happening but it is easily reproducable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TjL

ps -- the file has long lines, which is why I didn't just paste it