Re: zsh for win32 - installation of zshrc

On Sep 12,  7:43am, 'Sven Guckes' wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh for win32 - installation of zshrc
}
} Quoting Brian Agnew (Brian.Agnew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
} > >How do you install the zshrc on WindowsNT?
} > I've just stuck it in the root (C:/) directory. Seems to work fine.
}
} I am told that neither c:\zshrc nor d:\zshrc works.

Exploratory surgery almost always yields useful results:

zagzig[21] zcat zsh.exe.gz | strings -a | less +/zshrc
.zshrc
/etc/zshrc
.zprofile
/etc/zprofile
.zshenv
/etc/zshenv
/etc/suid_profile
.profile
/etc/profile
path too long: %s
ZDOTDIR

and so forth.  So of course c:\zshrc isn't going to work; it's looking
for .zshrc (which prehaps you can't create on a Win95 machine because
of the silly 8.3 filename rule, though I'm pretty sure you can on NT).

So you either need to create a c:\etc\zshrc (and zlogin and zshenv and
zlogout if you want) or find out what zsh thinks $HOME is set to (by
starting zsh and typing "echo $HOME") and put files with names starting
with a "." in there, if you can.

It appears, from further perusal of the strings output, that $HOMEDRIVE
and $HOMEPATH are used to generate part of the default $Path, as is a
variable $ZSHROOT that isn't used in unix zsh.