Re: clear terminal after display of less, <, and apropos

Mircea Damian <dmircea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 06:25:16PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > On Oct 14, 11:33pm, Roland Jesse wrote:
> > } Subject: clear terminal after display of less, <, and apropos
> > }
> > } Whenever I display some information with '< blurb' the terminal gets
> > } cleared immediately after I quit the pager (more). The same happens after
> > } executing an 'apropos' command.

Most "more" programs I've seen don't do terminal clearing -- "less" does
(and some sysadmins have more just point at less, so maybe less is
really being run).

Anyway, the "less" I have installed on my RedHat-like linux system uses
the environment variable LESS to pass default arguments to the binary,
and an option -X to disable sending of termcap init and deinit strings.
So I do:

export LESS=-X

and less stops clearing my screen on exit.

Greg