Tracking idletimes

Not quite on-topic but I can't think where else to ask!

I want to put together a daemon to track idletime, the sort of thing
that tells you to get up and stretch every half hour of worktime.

Trouble is, there's no way I can figure out to track "Last keypress in
any virtual terminal" (I don't and can't use X) and finger is reporting
invalid idletimes :(.

If I run a shellscript that calls other programs, the idletime for
that VT gets reset every time the secondary program is activated.  It
also seems to like to report Mutt as un-idle even when it is.

Any ideas?

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/