Re: [1997] [Q] A mystery (at least for me ...)

Danek Duvall wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 09:44:54AM +0100, Didier Verna wrote:
>
> > verna(pts/6) 145 % if echo toto | grep `hostname` ; then echo SUCCESS ; fi
>
> > SUCCESS
> >
> > 	Is it a known bug in this version,or am I missing something ?
>
> The return value of expression "echo toto | grep `cmd`" is the return value
> of cmd, not of grep.

[I haven't seen the message this is a reply to here, which is why I'm
replying to this one.]

This is a bug, it's fixed in 3.1.5.  There is a short patch in
zsh-workers message 4397, which you can get from
http://www.zsh.org/mla/ , and which should apply to most versions of
3.x.  You can see the message in
http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers//1998/msg00730.html but you may want to
find a non-html form if you want to apply it automatically.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/