Setting paths with ~'s in values.

I have many different machine that I have accouts on, so I conditionally
set my path with the following in my .zshenv ...

---
# Generate a nice-looking path, including only directories that exist.
for t_path in "${(f)$(<${HOME}/.zpaths)}"
do
    if
        [[ -d $t_path ]]
    then
        PATH=${PATH}:${~t_path}
    fi
done

PATH=${PATH[2,-1]}	# Nuke the leading ':'
---

.zpaths is a file that contains one directory per line.
It starts with the following entries:

~/bin
~/loc/bin
~/loc/X11R6/bin

>From the man page, I was under the impression that putting the ~
before the variable would expand the '~' in each of those paths.
Apparently, it does not. I could probably make a variable substituion
from '~' to ${HOME}, but it seems like there should be a more elegant way
to do it. Obiously, I don't want to explicitly enter the full path of
${HOME} in .zpaths.

Suggestions?

Thanks
- Larry