Problem with flow control in screen

I have installed the GNU program screen and set it to use "^q" as it's
escape character, and disabled its flowcontrol with the following
options in my .screenrc:
	defescape ^Qq
	defflow off

My problem comes when I try to use the magic key "^Q" to talk to
screen. If I am looking at a zsh prompt, it won't work, the "^Q" is
apparently eaten and never shown to screen. However if I am running
any other text program (like mutt, less, etc.) then the "^Q" works and
lets me talk to screen. I have tried this with the zsh-option
no_flow_control set and unset, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

What is happening?

Thanks.
--
Scott RoLanD