Saving the state of a shell

Hi,
I often find that I need to save the entire state of the current shell
into a file such that the state can be recreated later merely by
sourcing this file. By "state" I mean env variables, aliases, compctls,
functions, setopts,...
Is there a script out there that can do this for me?  If not, could
anyone give me some hints about going about this? (what little
scripting I've done so far has been in ksh and perl and fairly simple
stuff at that)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Uppito