Re: "exec zsh" inside .zprofile doesn't set SHELL

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>The problem with testing version numbers is that, whichever way you do the
>equality (equal the old version or not-equal the new one), the wrong thing
>may happen if one or the other gets upgraded.  And if for some reason the
>output of =zsh is the path to the old version, you still have a loop.  So

A better solution -- which I use on all systems, even if they have an
up-to-date zsh installed -- is to make your login shell be /bin/sh,
and have your .profile do the exec zsh.  zsh doesn't read the .profile,
so there's no possibility of a loop.  /bin/sh is also likely to start
up faster than the system's zsh.

-zefram