Re: rm -r

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 01:12:22PM +0000,
Alexandre Duret-Lutz <alexandre.duret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  TK> On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 07:52:29PM +0100,
>  TK> fg <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  >> BTW, whats the argument limit for zsh?
>
> This limit is not set by zsh but by the underlying libraries/OS.
> Moreover (correct me if I'm wrong) it is usualy set in term of a limit
> on the size of the environnement plus the size of the parameters (not
> realy the number of these).

Ah. Now I understand this much better.

> [...]
>
>  TK> zsh: argument list too long: /bin/echo
>
> This a standard message printed from `strerror(E2BIG)' after
> `execve(...)' returned the error `E2BIG' to zsh.  In other words,
> that's the C library speaking to you through zsh.

Yes, makes sense.

>  TK> Ah, the limit is at 32766 arguments. (On Linux-i386)
>
> Well, for *you* and with this particular case of arguments list!

Right. Using different parameters, the limit (in
"number-of-arguments-allowed") was smaller.

>  TK> Here's the few situations where I need find again... :)
>
> Since `echo' is builtin (therefore not exec'ed), you may want to do
>
> echo PATTERN | xargs COMMAND
>
> when `COMMAND PATTERN' don't work.

Cool idea. *very* cool.
Perhaps I should even build a cool preexec() that handles this? Perhaps
some time in the future...

> Alexandre Duret-Lutz

Thanks,
Thomas