Re: confused by history

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 08:58:50PM +0200, Eric Smith wrote:
> Problem is that I cannot seem to grow my history file - as you can see by
> the grep -i from my zshrc I am quite ambitous.  I often toggle setting
> and go wc -l $HISTFILE but get no more that 500 or up to 1000 if lucky -
> what could be keeping the file small?

I've found that when I boot my computer in the morning and start my X
session with a few xterms, occasionally all of my zsh'es have an empty
history. I'm don't know what's causing it but presumably it has
something to do with the zsh'es all getting killed at shutdown. Maybe
this is the problem you're seeing.

I also get files with names like ".history.1234" congregating in my home
directory. They are all either empty or just contain two bytes: "\0\n".
Kind of annoying.

ZSH_VERSION=3.1.6-dev-19
OSTYPE=freebsd3.2

History stuff from my rc file: