Re: Inter-Shell communication ?

jarausch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there an elegant technique for one zshell waiting
> for a different zshell (i.e. running in a different xterm)
> to complete?
> (better than e.g. periodically checking for a file that
> the second zshell touches at completion)
>
> Thanks for your hint,

I can only think of named pipes (`mknod foo p') with `read var <foo' and
`print go >foo'.

If the pid of the waiting shell is known, one can also use one of the
USR-signals. Or start a endlessly running process in the wait-shell,
wait for it and kill it from the other shell.

We really need that generic socket module ;-)

Bye
 Sven