Re: completion tricks

Adam Spiers <adam@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Matt Armstrong (matt.armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > I was using the new completion stuff for a while, but I switched back
> > for two reasons:
> >
> >  - The learning curve to actually do stuff with the new completion
> >    stuff was above my personal threshold.
> >
> >  - My shells started up many times slower with it in place.
>
> As for the learning curve for the new completion system, this is a
> known issue, but have you tried the `compinstall' command recently?

I was way beyond compinstall -- making custom completers for my own
commands, etc.  Then I stepped back and analyzed the effort I was
expending for the actual benefit.  Using compctl exclusively removes
the temptation for spending time customizing every command I ever run.
;-)

> This is a shame, but I can totally sympathise with your viewpoint.
> I would love to hear some tips from any zsh-workers as to how zsh
> can be optimised with respect to startup time.

Thinking back, startup time was not the problem that caused me to
switch back.  It was the fact that simple tab file completion got
slower.  Occasionally I'm doing stuff on slower systems with NFS file
systems.  Completing files with TAB was noticeably slower with the new
system over the old.

--
matt