$PATH

I haven't been able to figure this one out; sorry for asking such a dumb
question.  I generally put pretty much all my stuff in my .zshrc.  i've
noticed that if i do something like:
PATH=$PATH:/dh/bin
or whatever, each time i open a new shell (ie if i type 'zsh') my new shell
has the arg appended twice, so it would be something like:
yakko% zsh
yakko% echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/dh/bin:/dh/bin

however if i open a root shell (ie sudo zsh) using sudo, the path is only
appended once (i guess this is treated as a new login shell or whatever).

I can solve this by putting the line in my .zprofile or .zlogin instead; however then,
when I type 'sudo zsh', the extra item isn't appended at all.  if i put it in
~root/.zprofile it doesn't work either.

is there a simple solution i'm overlooking here?

-will