Re: weird problems with zsh

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:29:12PM +0700, oleg dashevskii wrote:
> hello!
>
> for some case or another when I type into the command line
>
> % perl -e "print 'aaa'"
>
> it outputs nothing, as opposed to bash which lets perl output 'aaa'
>
> I experience the same problem with /usr/bin/printf, which isn't going to output anything
>
> I've tried to remove all my ~/.zsh* config files, without success
>
> I use FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE that of Jul 8 2001
>
> ~% zsh --version
> zsh 4.0.1 (i386--freebsd4.3)
>
> zsh has been built from ports
>
> @leg
>
> p.s. I'm not subscribed to the list, so please crosspost your reply to me.

It works fine for me, using FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and zsh 4.0.2 from
ports.
I think it works fine for you too, you just don't see it :-)

What happens is that perl prints 'aaa' as it should and then zsh
regains control and prints the prompt.
This prompt overwrites the 'aaa'.

Bash apparently does not return the cursor to the leftmost column
before printing the prompt while zsh does.

Solution: Make sure that your output ends with a newline.
Eg.
perl -e "print 'aaa'" ; echo

This should give the expected result.

(You might try to replace the 'echo' on the line above with 'sleep 5'
to observe what happens. This will let the 'aaa' be displayed for 5
seconds before it is overwritten by zsh's prompt.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson