Wildcard completion question

I have a hopefully simple completion problem with version 4.  Really
it's just a difference from 3 to 4, but I haven't been able to make 4
behave the way I want.  With version 3 (3.0.8, for example, I know
works this way) I can do something like this:

cd /lv*/bla<TAB>

And have it do completions based on that.  It'll even deal with
something like there being a /lv1/blah and an /lv9/blah2 by cycling
through both.

But I just haven't been able to figure out how to make version 4 work
the same way.

--
Bill