Re: problem with named directories over the net

Hi,

Dominik writes:
>I like to shorten my prompt by using '~' instead of the full path
>to my home directory.  For example:

>  / $ cd ~/bin
>  ~/bin $

>Now the problem occurs when I fire up mc.  Upon leaving mc, a
>script from the mc documentation cds into the current path and I
>get something like

>  /net/server/share/home/luthien/bin $

>as the prompt because this is where my home directory comes from.
>/home is a symbolic link to /net/server/share/home.  Any idea how
>I can prevent this?

In my .zshenv I have this code....

# Going for hack of the year award...
case "$PWD" in
    /tmp_mnt/*) cd '/tmp_mnt' '' ;;
    /export/*)  cd '/export'  '' ;;
    *) ;;
  esac

It was put there to get around older Sun automounter difficulties...
(It is no-longer necessary, but it does no harm...)

If you want to be really pro-active, you could try something like
this in your precmd function...

  precmd() {
    case "$PWD" in
      /net/server/share/*) cd '/net/server/share' '' ;;
      *) ;;
    esac
  }

No idea if it works...