Problem with stty

Hello all,

I've recently switched to using zsh and I have almost everything working very
well.  I have one problem that I haven't found a solution for.  When I put an
stty statement into my .zshrc file (for example, stty erase '^h'), it doesn't
impact the login window.  I believe I saw some email a while back about the
conditions under which zsh starts a sub-shell, and perhaps that is relevant;
perhaps the stty occurs in a child window that then immediately exits.

Regardless of whether this theory is correct, I need to figure out how to set
these parameters.

TIA

--
Seth Kurtzberg