Dynamically adding to $mailpath?

Hiya,

Should this;

  typeset -a mailpath
  for i in ~/mail/*.spool; do
    set $mailpath[$#mailpath+1]="${i}?You have new mail in $(basename $i .spool).";
  done

have worked? I got around it by using $MAILPATH, but

  zsh: /home/hcksplat/mail/X.spool?You have new mail in X. not found
  $

doesn't seem right to me. ZSH_VERSION=4.0.4, setopt gives nobeep,
correct, noglobalrcs, histignoredups, histignorespace, interactive,
monitor, shinstdin.

Thanks,

	Aidan Kehoe
--
It's time to put on makeup/It's time to dress up right,
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight,