menu completion on Linux console problem

Anybody has problems with menu completion on Linux console? I just
discovered it does not work on Mandrake in 4.1.x (different versions) and I
do not remember if it worked in 4.0.x before. Attempt to select using cursor
keys moves display one line up every time.

It happens only on console, xterm, console etc works O.K.

I think it did work before with 4.0.x as shipped in 9.0 and before. The bug
is too obvious to miss.

-andrey