Re: delete-word does not delete the entire word...

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> }     where '_' is the cursor position, the entire word jfinvnck is not
> } deleted, just the portion between the cursor and the end of the word.
> } That's not what I expect
> Out of curiosity, WHY is that not what you expect?

    Because when I want to delete a word, I mean the entire word, not
just a portion from the cursor O:) Back when I used bash, I didn't
mess with words, really. In fact I wasn't doing with zsh, neither,
but recently I bind delete-word and delete-backward-word for speed. I
don't know what happens in other shells :??? Anyway, with zsh I can
modify this behaviour :)

> It's pretty standard behavior of unix-derived text editors to treat
> the cursor position as dividing the buffer into two parts, and then
> acting on only one of those parts at a time.

    Maybe, I don't really know. I don't feel like telling what I
think about vi or emacs, but when documentation say 'word' I assume
'entire word', not 'from cursor position to...' ;)) You're right: my
usual editor, joe, does just the same, and I suppose all editors do
the same (believe it or not, I don't use delete word commands in joe
at all...). That's why I was asking. Obviously, it's my fault O:)
I'll write a wrapper around word deletion commands so they act on the
entire word ;)

    Thanks for pointing that, I thought that 'joe' was acting on
complete words, but it is not true!

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736