Re: FreeBSD compatability feature request

Vincent Stemen wrote:
> Zsh's sh compatibility works great for the most part.  However, there
> is one unimplemented feature that I know of that prevents us from
> being able to use it as a plug in replacement for /bin/sh on FreeBSD.
> The "set -T" option.  This is used in a few places in the FreeBSD-5.x
> init scripts.
>
> Here is the FreeBSD manual entry:
>
>   -T trapsasync
>         When waiting for a child, execute traps immediately.  If this
>         option is not set, traps are executed after the child exits,
>         as specified in IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'')

This question came up before.  It can probably be done in certain
controlled circumstances --- usually it's dangerous to run traps
asynchronously, but with appropriate tests around a wait it ought to be
possible.  It doesn't sound too difficult.

If someone with a FreeBSD system wants to implement this, please go
ahead, but otherwise (i) it's ultralow priority (ii) we can't compare
the result with what it's supposed to do.

(We get quite a lot of feature requests and very few people offering to
implement new features, unfortunately.  So unless it's really of general
interest it tends not to get done.)

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Work: pws@xxxxxxx