Putting a running job into the background with cygwin zsh?

Title: Putting a running job into the background with cygwin zsh?

I'm using the cygwin version of zsh 4.2.0 on WinXP.

If I run a Windows program and later want to put it into the background, Ctrl-Z has no effect.
`stty -a' indicates that the suspend character is ^Z.  Does this work for others or is it a known limitation in the cygwin version?

Interestingly, the old Windows native zsh port (by AmolD) would always return immediately when invoking "windowed" Windows apps, i.e., if I typed `notepad', the shell would exec notepad.exe and immediately provide a new prompt. It only did this for apps designed to run "windowed", so would work for "notepad", "write", etc, but not for "java" (I used "javaw", which is "windowed").

Thanks,

    --- John