Re: Slightly OT: Error-Handling in a Pipeline, preferably non-zsh

Sigh.  Someday maybe I'll decide not to answer email in the middle of the
night when I've been taking decongestants.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Aaron Davies wrote:

> On Monday, August 16, 2004, at 03:41 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> > What happens when one of the arguments of the command is a quoted word
> > containing spaces?
[...]
> >   sleep 30 &
> >   runcommandonpidof sleep print -l "this should be on one line"
> >
> > (and try it in a non-zsh shell, where word splitting applies; no
> > cheating by letting zsh preserve the quoting for you, you asked for
> > portability).
>
> What is "print"?

As has been pointed out by Raúl, I've been telling you to avoid zsh while
giving an example that uses a zsh builtin.

> toall sleep echo "this is one line"
>
> produces
>
> this is one line 19980
>
> whether or not $@ is in quotes.

Try this one:

	toall sleep echo "this has          ten spaces"

With $@, you should get

	this has ten spaces 19980

Whereas "$@" should give

	this has          ten spaces 19980

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Aaron Davies wrote:

> I'm running this under Bourne sh, as I mentioned in my original request.

And I should have remembered, as Dan Nelson mentioned, that $pipestatus is
only available in bash and zsh and therefore not portable.