Re: Globbing question

lists wrote:

> Maybe I misunderstood the "What we need to ask is why someone should
> want to complete non-executable files in command position" statement,
> but what I'm trying to do is have non-executable files which happen to
> be in my $path *not* be completed.

I hadn't realised that they are completed by default but a quick check
reveals that they are.

command names are not completed by using the usual filename completion.
Instead the shell's internal hash table of commands is used. If you run
the hash builtin, it lists non-executable files. Quite why it does this,
I don't know but presumably it is an optimisation of some sort.

So it looks like there isn't an easy way to fix the completion.

Oliver