Re: Vim syntax file for zsh

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:24:52PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> * Stephane Chazelas <Stephane_Chazelas@xxxxxxxx> [Dec 10, 2004 16:50]:

> > > Why?
>
> > Because "[" and "hi[" are both arguments to a builtin command (0th of
> > the "[" one, and 1st of the "echo" one), there's no reason (not) to
> > quote one and not the other.
>
> I think you misunderstand.
>
> 	% echo hi[
> 	zsh: bad pattern: hi[
> 	% [ -n "$1" ]
> 	%
>
> Quoting the first makes sense if you want to echo the string "hi[".
> Quoting the [ in [ -n "$1" ] makes no sense at all.
> Or am I misunderstanding something?
[...]

Yes, you're right, I had not made the test myself as I expected
it to work the same as in any other shell.

echo foo[

works OK in every shell but zsh.

If you've got a command named foo[, though,

foo[ bar

doesn't work with ksh or bash (because, they take it as the
start of an array subscript assignment). It's OK with pdksh,
though.

Is there any reason why

echo [
works and not