bug (feature?) in zsh

I'm using Debian unstable, zsh version 4.2.2. I've noticed that, when I
install a new package that puts some program in my path (for
example, /usr/bin) I can't invoke the program using completion in any zsh
shell that I have opened before installing the program.

Just an example to clarify this (my english is very poor :))

Let's say I install the program sdiff in /usr/bin; if I have another zshells
open before installing the program (as is always the case in my box) and try
to invoke the program pressing sd<TAB>, sdiff does not appear in the list of
possible commands, I have to type 'rehash' to be able to see the new command
in zsh.

I don't know if this is a bug or this is the intended behaviour, but I don't
really like it. Anybody knows how to fix this?

Regards,
Toshiro.