Re: nohup/disown and logout

Andrei A. Voropaev sent me the following 1.1K:

> > If I run a command like "nohup myprog &|", the job doesn't appear in the
> > jobs table, as expected, but when I exit the shell, .zlogout is executed
> > and everything hangs.  No control key combinations seem to do anything.
> > Killing the nohup'ed process from another shell releases the original
> > shell and it exits.  I get no message.  I've tried with disown also, but
> > the same behavior is exhibited.  If it makes any difference, I
> > experience this problem when logged in remotely to a university machine.
> > It seems to work all right locally on my own machine.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Any further information I can provide?  Many thanks!
>
> Are you using ssh to login?

I see...  The ssh session hangs because there's still a connection to
std(in|out|err).  If I redirect all these away to /dev/null or
elsewhere, the session closes as expected and the process continues to
run:

    nohup myprog &> /dev/null < /dev/null &!

Thanks for the tipoff!

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx