Opinion: locks, nonblock

Greetings,

This is more a request for opinions than a question.

Last weekend I decided that I'd try to implement a native "shell file
locking". I have made a patch to bash 3.0.14 just for experimenting:
http://fk.geek42.org/bash-3.0.14-lock.patch

The patch adds to options: exlock and nonblock.
That was just a test. exlock implements a lock to every file opened by the
shell (using exec) and nonblock makes O_NONBLOCK'ed operations (including
the possibly exlock'ed I/O).

My real target while making the patch was the possibility to write a zsh
module to implement such operations in a native way. Most of these could
very well be implemented outside the shell while others would have to be
implemented natively in the environment.

For instance, I have been using lockfile (of procmail) to lock files for
years. Now I'm wondering if it would not be nicer to have that operation
natively in my zsh environment.

Some of these operations - like setting a nonblock flag to a fd, or just
temporarily locking a fd - could help in various ways.

So, the opinions...

Does anyone implemented something like that already? Or else, does anyone
have specific tricks to achieve similar functionality? I've researched a
bit and found nothing.

Do you guys think it would be nice to have that functionality implemented
natively in the shell?

Also, any pointers to implementing that functionality? Would it be better
designed as a module or natively to the zsh? At first I thought it would
be nice to write a module implementing something like a "generic file
descriptior handling" operation.

Are are your opinions on these points?
Thanks,

--