ulimit -n to small

Hi,

my zsh 4.2.5 on gentoo has a problem with the number of file descriptors.
They can not raise the hard limit even with the -S set as mentioned in [1]:

$ ulimit -n
1024
$ ulimit -SHn 2048
ulimit: can't raise hard limits
$ ulimit -Sn 2048
ulimit: value exceeds hard limit

But I need a value for file descriptors > 5000 for some java application.
With ksh and zsh @ root it works as expected:
ulimit -n 1024
# ulimit -n
1024
# ulimit -n 8192
# ulimit -n
8192

How can I change the hard limit for the file descriptors?

I tried to find something in the archive, but the site [2] is not accessable
and the archive at [3] had no matching articles.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Heinrich

[1]: http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Doc/Release/zsh_16.html
[2]: http://www.zsh.org/mla
[3]: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user

--
+++ GMX - Die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++

1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail