Re: echo $fred:s/str1/str2/

zzapper wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:00:18 +0100,  wrote:
> >You can't use patterns with that form, which is the history modifier
> >syntax.  You can use patterns with this form:
> >
> >echo ${fred/bu/hhh}
> >
> Peter,
> I was expecting to use PCRE but it seems to only allow simplified patterns
>
> echo ${fred/ket*ll/yyy}
>
> Where can I find the rules?

They are standard shell globbing patterns, as described in the "Filename
Generation" section of the zshexpn manual.  This is the only form of
pattern matching the standard shell syntax knows about.

You certainly shouldn't be expecting to use PCRE.  That's never part of
standard shell syntax.  It's only invoked in a few particular cases
loaded explicitly with the zsh/pcre module.

the system manager.