Re: named pipes blocking zsh

Now that I think about it, what if the pine process crashed and didn't have a chance to send an EOF or remove the pipe (assuming pine implemented the EOF)? It seems that the read with timeout in zsh should work, it should not just block forever even though a timeout is specified, but maybe it's not possible to do because it's stuck in open() not in a read call.

Thanks.

I think this qualifies as a pine bug.  Removing a named pipe will not
by itself send an EOF to any processes that are listening on it.  The
right way for pine to shut down the connection would be to open the fifo,
remove the disk file, then send a final EOF by closing the descriptor.

Anything else is a race condition with the listening process, which may
re-open the fifo for reading before pine has removed it.