Re: Replacing sed for zsh portability

    Hi Vincent :)

 * Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> On 2005-08-15 12:35:57 +0200, DervishD wrote:
> >     Since I cannot use sed for the entire work unless I complicate
> > the script (doing multiple substitutions and the like), I want to get
> > rid of the current script and doing all the job in ZSH. It doesn't
> > matter if it is very slow, speed here is not an issue.
> For things related to regexp, it would probably be much easier with Perl.

    The thing is perfectly suitable to be done in sed, in fact it is
a one-liner (three lines if non-GNU sed), and it can even be done in
one or two lines in Zsh. Introducing a dependency with Perl just for
that... no. Moreover, I don't think that *anything* is easier with
Perl. I have a theory: if you just hit your keyboard randomly at your
favourite editor, chances are that the noise produced are a perfectly
legal (although non functional) Perl script. And Perl-6... well.

    For regexes I prefer sed, or awk sometimes, although I must
confess that since I use zsh my needs for using sed or awk have
dropped dramatically.

    Thanks anyway, Vincent :), but the problem is not complex enough
to need Perl for being solved.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...