strange key behavior after compiling zsh on tiger

I decided to build zsh-4.2.5 on my powerbook, which is running OS X
Tiger.  4.2.3 was working fine, I suppose I should have stayed with
it, but it's too late for that now...

My issue is that now my delete key deletes characters but doesnt move
the cursor while it deletes, and if i press any of my arrow keys or
the esc key the terminal stops responding to key presses altogether.
I havent changed any of my startup files, inputrc, or terminal
preferences, what I did was ./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin
(yes I should have installed it somewhere else to test it first, but
again it's too late now) make && make install.

Someone in #zsh compiled 4.2.5 on his mac and it ran without this
strange occurance.  Other notes: tcsh and bash both work normally, and
zsh --no-rcs has the same problems as if I let it start normally (so
to me it seems that it's not a startup file issue)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike