startup

I have subtle problems running programs under gdb since I switched to zsh and configured a lot of aliases and zsh-specific things.  I wonder how do I debug it, -- if I start gdb under zsh, what's the startup sequence of the new process?  For some reason, the examples .zshrc's I see do not distinguish between login shell and non-login one...  How does zsh differentiates between them, and what happens when gdb starts a process when run under zsh (does it even run zsh, or /bin/sh, and how do they interact)?...

Cheers,
Alexy