Re: Problem with glob qualifier e

On Sep 6,  6:51am, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
} Subject: Re: Problem with glob qualifier e
} On Monday 05 September 2005 23:05, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > }
} > } (I do not know why xargs here won't process arguments seperated by
} > } spaces, it should)
} >
} > I'm not sure what you mean?  xargs never processes arguments separated
} > by spaces.  It always wants newlines or NULs.
}
} then manual page is wrong:

Ah, hmm, yes, you're right, and I've misremembered.

What I was thinking of is how xargs normally batches up its arguments.
One of the oft-stated reasons for using

    find . -whatever ... | xargs something

rather than

    find . -whatever ... -exec something {} \;

is that the latter runs something once for every file, whereas the
former runs it fewer times on groups of files.

However, my statement was correct for the case of `xargs -i' because the
manual page goes on to say:

   --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str]
      Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial arguments  with
      names  read  from  standard input.  Also, unquoted blanks do not
      terminate arguments.  If replace-str is omitted, it defaults  to
      "{}" (like for `find -exec').  Implies -x and -l 1.